Monday, April 7, 2014

Air Jordans

This past weekend, I did something I've never done before, and bought a pair of Air Jordans, the popular shoes from basketball player Michael Jordan and Nike.  I've always admired the shoes from afar, but never had the money to buy them until now.  With it being the first chance I had to buy a pair of Jordans, I didn't want to waste the opportunity buying the wrong pair, so I went to several shoe stores to find the "right" one.  Unfortunately, many cheaper designs I liked weren't available in my size, so I had to settle on the Jordan 45, which is a mix of black and white.  I like the color because it matches with a lot of things I wear, but I didn't like some of the bottom, which has dots on it, as well as the price tag, which was $120.  These shoes probably cost next to nothing to make in some shop overseas, but they charge an arm and a leg for it; which is ridiculous. 

You'd think I would be satisfied after using so much money on a pair of shoes, but I didn't learn my lesson because I bought another pair of Jordans online the very next day, the Jordan SC-3, which are red and black.  After making such a large purchase, I usually hold off before buying anything new, but I saw the shoes in person, and they were too good to pass up.  Not to mention, I love the colors, which are a mix of my favorites.  Hopefully when the shoes come, they meet my expectations.

Right now, I feel pretty happy about having 2 new pairs of Jordans, and just having new shoes overall since I really needed some.  But at the same time, I wonder what's the point?  I know having footwear is important, but I could have saved money, and it's not like I'm going to wear them everyday.  Not to mention, I never cared about them badly enough to buy them before, so why now?  The answer to that question is, because as a child in school, I was always teased for not having name-brand shoes, so now, I want some.  Being older, having Jordans now won't ease the pain I used to feel, but it feels cool having something I really want, when there's so few material  things in life I do want.  Will they truly make me happy?  I don't know, but as I find out, I'll have the footwear to find out and reach that goal.  One thing's for sure, I know this will not be the last pair of Jordan's I buy...

No comments:

Post a Comment