Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Artist

The Artist (PG-13)
Grade: A+
  • Directed by: Michel Hazanavicius
  • Produced by: Thomas Langmann
  • Screenplay by: Michel Hazanavicius
  • Starring: Jean Dujardin (George Valentin), Berenice Bejo (Peppy Miller), Uggie (Jack The Dog), John Goodman (Al Zimmer), James Cromwell (Clifton), Missi Pyle (Constance), Penelope Ann Miller (Doris Valentin), Malcolm McDowell (The Butler)
  • Cinematographer: Guillaume Schiffman
  • Music by: Ludovic Bource
  • Distributed by: Warner Bros (France), The Weinstein Company (US/AUS), Entertainment Film Distributors (UK)
  • Released: May 23, 2011 (US), October 12, 2011 (France)
  • Running Time: 100 minutes/1 hour and 40 minutes
  • Language: French

Before seeing "The Artist", I had never seen a silent film before in my life.  I had always wanted to see the films by Charlie Chaplin or Buster Keaton, but I never had enough money to buy them.  By chance when I was with my dad, he bought "The Artist" because he heard rave reviews about it; I had heard all about the rave reviews and Oscars it got too, but I was skeptical because I didn't think a silent film could hold my attention the way a talking film could.  After watching "The Artist" numerous times though, it's safe to say I was wrong.

"The Artist" starts off in 1927.  George Valentin, the most popular silent film star of his time, has just done another smash-hit film.  As he is posing for pictures one day, he is bumped into by a young woman named Peppy Miller.  George laughs off what happens and takes a picture with her, only to have it posted as a front page tabloid, which causes friction in George's home and workplace.  Eventually, Peppy gets a job as an extra at Kinograph Studios, where George works.  She doesn't start out as much at first, but George offers his help to her.  Unfortunately, that decision doesn't help George, who has to deal with Peppy's rising stardom, and talking films, which may jeopardize his film career.

For an Oscar winning film, "The Artist" has a plot that we've seen before, yet the film is wonderful because of the presentation of it.  It's presented in black and white, which gives us a dreamlike sequence, and helps us focus on the acting in the film, instead of the distractions we'd normally have. The acting in the film is good from everyone, but Jean Dujardin steals the show.  His look and charisma makes him look like he really could have been a successful silent film star of this time, and he's quite convincing with his facial features.

The thing that really puts "The Artist" over the top for me though is the soundtrack by Ludovic Bource.  His soundtrack sets the tone for how effective this film is, from the scenes involving dancing, to the scenes of heartbreak.  My favorite song from this film is "In The Stairs".  I won't give too much away, but when this song is used, it's hard to not to shed a tear or feel for what's happening on screen.  Soundtracks aren't usually huge pluses for me, but because this is a silent film, it was more necessary, which stood out to me more.

"The Artist" can be categorized as a lot of things: drama, comedy, tragedy, but it's really a romance in my mind, which is probably why I like it so much.  I've been watching films for well over fifteen years, seeing good and bad romances, but I have never seen love presented the way it was in this film.  Love was shown as simple, and the people cared about each other the way I think people in real life should, just wanting the best for someone.  It's something I look for in my own life, which is why this film means so much to me because I didn't think a film like this could be possible now.  Not just a good romance film, but a silent, black and white romance film, that captures elements of old Hollywood.

I know "The Artist" isn't "City Lights" by Charlie Chaplin, but no film is.  This film is wonderful for it's time, and a film I hope stands the test of time because it really does educate people on how film's used to be.  Some people have said that "The Artist" only won the Oscars it did because it was a silent film, but I don't think that's the case because if that was true, then why aren't there more silent films out now?  It just goes to show that not every film can be that way, which is why I say, give "The Artist" a chance.  If you see the film and dislike it, fine, it happens, but don't judge it without seeing it.  Otherwise, you'll be missing one of the best films and love stories I've seen in a long time.  If you're looking for a movie encompassing a lot, this movie is it.

No comments:

Post a Comment