Saturday, May 4, 2013

Celtics Playoffs/Season In Review

Paul Pierce had a tough series overall vs. the New York Knicks
As the final buzzer sounded yesterday, the right word to describe how I was feeling was let down.  Yes, I knew the Boston Celtics were huge underdogs going against the New York Knicks being older (arguably), and not having the same caliber of players, but somehow, like always, the Celtics always found a way to keep things interesting.  I didn't think they would come back (especially being down by 26 at one point), but somehow, they almost did.  If that happened, it would have been equally as amazing as what the 04' Red Sox World Series title was to me, which in my opinion, will never be topped  Yes, I knew the Celtics weren't going to win the NBA title this year, but throughout the six year run since Kevin Garnett came to Boston, they always made you believe they could.

Describing the Celtics-Knicks series is painful, but somebody has to do it.  The first three games went to the Knicks, and while I give them credit for playing good defense, it's arguable the Celtics gave those games away by not scoring 80 points in any game, and turning the ball over a ton.  Carmelo played well, as well as J.R Smith, but the MVP of the first three games was Raymond Felton and Iman Shumpert for the defense they played, and the fact they actually hit shots consistently.  After losing the first three games, I thought, like many, that the Celtics would get swept, but they won game 4 in overtime and won game 5.  Credit could be given to Paul Pierce, Jeff Green, or even Jason Terry, but I give it to Kevin Garnett for his leadership and statistics.  Hell, even if the Celtics had Rajon Rondo healthy, I'd still think KG was more valuable, but that's a post for another day.

Game 7 was a debacle with the Celtics barely scoring for the first three quarters, until they exploded, and almost came back in the fourth.  It was the most excitement I had for the Celtics all season, but I knew it was over when Carmelo hit that three pointer to seal it.  Blame can be cast all over from Paul Pierce (4-18 shooting) to Danny Ainge for not giving the team a better supporting cast.  I'm usually one who supports loyalty since I think it's a lost thing in sports, but it's obvious the Celtics need to make a change.  Despite that feeling though, I can't bring myself to say the Celtics should trade Paul Pierce or Kevin Garnett.  They've given so much to the organization, and the Celtics wouldn't be who they are without them.  Maybe I'm being too sentimental, but these two Hall of Famer's deserve better ending considering all they've done.

I know I'm in the minority on this, and that's fine, but the season could have been so much different if Rondo and Jared Sullinger didn't get hurt.  I know we could say that about a lot of teams, but for this team, that statement definitely fits.  Other teams were hurt, but they didn't have Terrence Williams and Shavlik Randolph on the floor for their season.  I don't know what next year holds, which a lot of people feel, but I know I don't want to say good-bye yet.  Sure this season was tough with injuries and subpar play with the Celtics being older, but if the San Antonio Spurs can do it with Gregg Popavich, why can't the Celtics do it with Doc Rivers.  Out of the four major sports, the NBA is where you see the least upsets, but with Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett, they've taught us anything is possible, and to never give up until that final buzzer sounds.
Have Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce played their last games as Celtics?  Hopefully not, but if it's over, thanks for everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment