Monday, April 22, 2013

One Week Ago...

Looking back on the past week in Boston, with the marathon tragedy, and the capture of suspect #2, for some reason, I'm thinking of a scene from Dead Poets Society.  The scene I'm talking about in particular is when Professor Keating, played by Robin Williams, goes on his desk and tells the boys in his class that everything is different based on perspective.  The boys laugh what he is saying at first, but then they get on his desk and realize what he's talking about.  That scene had to do with telling the boys to do things for themselves, and to think about things in depth.  I know that scene and the film have nothing to do with what happened last week, but I can't help but look back on a week ago with the perspective I have now.

A week ago, I was in Amherst at this time, having breakfast with my friend Scotty, then going to the library to do some homework with him.  I did a little, but not much because I was focused on the Red Sox (who always play early on Patriots day for those of you who don't know).  After spending a few hours there, I ate lunch with my other friends Phu and Johnson.  Once we were done eating, I figured the rest of the day would be quiet with the marathon going on, but that's when I, and many others found out what happened at 2:50.  Most people were at the marathon, or saw on TV what happened, but I found out because my sister texted me about it.  At first, I didn't understand it, but once I turned on the TV, it was hard not too.  I was worried because my dad and his friends were there, but luckily they weren't hurt.  Unfortunately, others were because of what happened.

Now that a week has passed, it's hard to believe that it was that long ago, when the feeling of it is still very fresh.  Suspect #2 was caught on Friday, but I know that this dilemma is far from being solved, and the people who lost loved ones or sustained injuries will never heal.  As time goes by, maybe things will get better, but we'll never forget what happened at 2:50 on April 15, 2013 because it's part of our lives forever.  Our perspectives may change, but the feelings of sadness, sorrow, etc, never will.

R.I.P all the victims of the Boston Marathon Tragedy.  None of you deserved the pain you endured.

No comments:

Post a Comment