Thursday, August 1, 2013

Backstreet Boys: My Top 8 Songs

"The Boys Are Back In Town" is a classic song by the rock band Thin Lizzy, but for today, I'm thinking about it because of the Backstreet Boys.  They're back with their newest studio album in 4 years, and the first with the whole group since the "Never Gone" album, which was 8 years ago.  It's hard for me to believe that the Backstreet Boys have been around for 20 years because I grew up with them like everyone in my generation.  A lot of people I know can't stand them, but you have to show them respect for changing the pop genre forever, and being one of the few groups to still be around after all these years.  I admit, their sound isn't the same anymore since pop has changed, but they still look and sound good to me.  Yes, Brian, Nick, Howie, A.J, and Kevin may be older now, but they're still the Backstreet Boys.  And in honor of their 8th studio album, I thought it fitting to make a list of their top 8 songs.  This list was tough since they have so many songs, but I think I narrowed it down.

To start, I'll begin with...

8. "Get Another Boyfriend": There were other songs that were harder and louder than this song that almost made my list, such as "Everybody (Backstreet's Back), "Larger Than Life", and "The Call", but I picked this one over it since this was the first song of there's that I thought was so bad-ass.  I love the message behind the song, and I love their live performance of it.  So much swagger!


7. "Anywhere For You": A song from their first American and European album that didn't get as much publicity as it should have.  The song is about a guy who likes a girl that he's willing to go anywhere for.  The song screams pop, and is definitely sweet with its lyrics.  I like both versions of the song, but the European version is better because of the ending, which has an added bridge, so it sounds so much better.


6. "Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely": This song makes the list since it's one of the Backstreet Boys most powerful songs.  The lyrics are sad and powerful because they're so tragic, and the music video is so moving.  Whenever I watch it, it makes me think of the difficulties I have in life, so I reflect a lot, which is a mix of good and bad.

   
5. "The One": The title of this song alone would be enough.  The One symbolizing that one girl who's the one, but this song makes the list because of the music video, which is montage of clips of the group.


4. "I'll Never Break Your Heart": Along with one other song later in the list, this song is one of the ones I sing along to the most.  The sound is smooth, the video is romantic, and the lyrics represent something I hope I'll never do to a woman, which is break their heart. 

 
3. "Shape Of My Heart": I listen to this song constantly, and sing along with this song the most out of any Backstreet Boys song, which is why this makes my list.  Of course, the lyrics are great, and the music video which is tinted black and blue is unforgettable.  Vocals are outstanding here.  I just wish everyone had a part in the song since I think that's when the boys are at their best, but I can't complain here.

 
2. "As Long As You Love Me": "As Long As You Love Me" is the first Backstreet Boys song I fell in love with.  I remember the first time I heard it, which was on "Sabrina The Teenage Witch".  That was so long ago, but I remember it so vividly.  Hearing the song now though, I get the same feeling I had back then.  And now that I'm older, I agree with the lyrics, that no matter what a person did back then, I'll love them as long as they love me.  It's so sweet!  And the chair moves were fantastic too.


1. "If I Don't Have You": This song may have most of you scratching your heads since this song was never released in the Unites States.  It's only on their European album, but if you give it a listen, you'll love it too!  It's amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment