Sunday, October 13, 2013

City Guys

People can classify themselves as rural or city people depending on where they live, but how many people can call themselves City Guys?  Literally, many people can, but in the TV sense, only the people from the TNBC sitcom City Guys can do that.  The show, which was about 6 high school friends (Jamal, Chris, Cassidy, Dawn, Al, and L-Train) and their principal (Ms. Noble) dealing with everyday teen issues, may not have been as popular as Saved By The Bell was, or had the theme song California Dreams had, but I think that's what made it stand on its own.  It wasn't as campy or preppy as Saved By The Bell, and even though the theme song wasn't as good as California Dreams, I still like it because of how catchy it is, and the fact it depicts Jamal and Chris having fun living in New York, which every person wants to do.

Out of all the shows on TNBC, each has their own special place in my heart.  Saved By The Bell will always be there because that was the show my siblings and I grew up on, and deep down, every guy probably wishes they could be like Zack Morris (although his grades were terrible).  California Dreams wasn't as deep too me, and is the one I remember the least, but the theme song, and the fact that it was about friends playing in a band together seems so deep.  City Guys though, is by far my favorite because of how realistic it is to my life.  The cast was diverse like my high school was, the jokes were hilarious, and it depicts friends in school, dealing with real life issues, as well as recalling the good times, which my friends and I do all the time.  I wish TNBC or shows like this still existed because of the humor, and what their influence on kids, but I suppose it isn't possible now with the way TV is.  It's sad, but we'll always have the memories, and the catchy theme song: "C-I-T-Y, you can see why, these guys, the neat guys, are smart and streetwide"...

No comments:

Post a Comment