Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween

Forgive my bluntness, but Halloween sucks!...

I bet some of you are probably wondering why I think this since Halloween is a holiday of dressing up, candy, and fun overall, but to me, it is anything but that.  Halloween does evoke some of those things, but it's a drag because of my past experiences with it, and the fact I don't think of it as a real holiday.  To explain the latter, any holiday that you have to go to school for isn't a real holiday in my book (the child in me talking).  Also, it's lost meaning because children don't trick or treat as much for safety issues, which I understand, and the fact the media has changed Halloween's image.  It used to be about scariness, but now it has shifted to sexiness and parties.  Maybe it's college influencing some of my way of thinking, but if you look at ads, you'll see what I mean.

As for my own experiences, besides going trick-or-treating once with my friends and at the mall, which was alright, I didn't have many Halloween experiences growing up (sad I know).  Maybe it's an Asian thing, but at my house, normally we closed all the shades, and then turned off the lights to give off the impression we weren't home for the night.  It's not like we didn't want to give out candy, but we just didn't feel like it.  Other times, my parents would take my siblings and I out to eat and then we would just get a huge individual bag of candy from CVS.  I don't know what candy I would choose now, but back then, Starburst Hard Candy was my sweet of choice.  A shame they don't make it anymore.  It doesn't sound fun since you're with your parents, but those experiences were memorable.  And looking back, it was better eating real food than candy all night.

With that in mind, let me tell you what you should all do for Halloween.  You should do what I'm going to do and just watch all the Halloween specials of my favorite TV shows from The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episodes, The Weekenders, Arthur, Recess, all the way to classic things such as "It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown".  If you aren't a fan of watching TV, then you may find this boring, but these things never change, which you can't say about Halloween.  Regardless of what you do, whether you go trick-or-treating, party, or stay in, be safe, and don't forget to set your clocks this weekend.  I'm trying to remember to.

Happy Halloween!

 
One of my favorite Halloween traditions.  Who can forget Charlie Brown getting nothing but rocks?

No comments:

Post a Comment