Wednesday, November 13, 2013

My Love Of Greeting Cards

There's a running joke from TV shows that Hallmark has a greeting card for every occasion, which isn't true, but it seems like it is with the mass amount of cards they have.  I used to love going into Hallmark back in the day because it was a chance to see other writer's or artist's work firsthand.  But after a few years, I started to realize something; the cards I used to love were starting to get boring because they had been around for so long.  And for some reason, as good as some of them were, they just never captured the full message I wanted to give to a person.  So since then, every time the occasion calls for it, such as a birthday or holiday, I make my own cards or buy blank cards and write my own message to people.

Now, making your own card or writing a full message may seem like too much work, but it's worth it.  For one thing, you get to be really creative with the full design of it, which can make your card stand out.  And what can be better than writing a heartfelt, personal message to a loved one?  I don't think many things are, especially if you put so much effort into it, which I think I've done.  I can remember countless hours and days I would stay up late perfecting a message, coloring, and gluing pictures; it was a pain since it was so easy to make a mistake, but to know you can brighten someone's day with something you created is so gratifying.  I think it's one of the reasons I wanted to be a writer (even though I'm not really good at it in my opinion).  To be honest though, if I had a dream job I knew I would be financially secure in, it would be making greeting cards.  But I guess it would be difficult because I'm better at making personal cards for people I know, and I heard it's very difficult to do.  Luckily, I know the business isn't like that stupid "(500) Days of Summer" film.

I know I probably haven't changed people's minds on cards, or people still want to buy presents for people for special occasions, which is just fine, but all I'm saying is reconsider greeting cards.  It makes everything more complete, and it shows a person how you really feel about them, which can sometimes get lost in the world.  It's understandable to be worried about the cover of your card, or what you write, but don't worry.  It's the thought that counts, and what could be more thoughtful than a greeting card?

No comments:

Post a Comment