Saturday, February 8, 2014

My Favorite Generation I Pokémon

Recently, I've been getting back into Pokémon in more ways than I ever imagined.  I always played the games, but with no 3DS, I had to find some other alternative, which is why I've been getting into the trading card game. As a child, it seemed complicated with all of its coin flips and damage counters, but now, I know it's a pretty simple game to play.  Yesterday, I bought some cards online (showing my addiction to the game), but like all card games, it gets expensive because I always want to buy collectable/older cards.  Sure, I could buy newer cards (and I have), but I grew up with the first two generations of Pokémon the most, so I want those cards in my deck.  Plus, I just like/know most of the Pokémon in general.  That got me thinking though, when it came to the first generation, what were my favorite Pokémon?  I looked back on my main party from those games, but those weren't accurate, since they just represented Pokémon that were there for convenience.  Let's be honest, we all had a Pidgeot, but it was never one of our favorites; it was there just because we didn't want a Fearow or legendary.  So with this question on my mind, I thought long and hard about which Generation I Pokémon were my favorites.  It took awhile, but after thinking about it, I think I have my answer.

Criteria for my favorite Generation I Pokémon is judged by a mix of variables.  I chose some of them based on my use of them in the video games, card game, and my sentimental memory of them.  It's safe to say if I could ever have a main party with these 6, I would.  Without further ado, my favorite Generation I Pokémon are...

Honorable Mention
  • Scyther: My friend Phu is going to kill me for this because he loves Scyther to death, but here me out.  I love Scyther now as a Pokémon, sometimes even more than Scizor, but back as a child, I couldn't stand Scyther.  It was a bug Pokémon, which I don't even really like, since like Misty, I just hate bugs.  And back then, it was so hard to get because you could only get it in the Safari Zone or the game corner, which took forever.  Sure, it might have been worth it, but back in Generation I, it didn't have a great move set, and its only real use was to cut trees, which is why it's an honorable mention.

6. Porygon: You'd think Porygon would be in the same boat as Scyther since it could only be gotten at the game corner, and it cost even more coins, but unlike Scyther, I was never afraid of Porygon.  Yes, it had the unfortunate seizure incident in Japan, but that wasn't its fault; that was because of high flashing animation.  Porygon might be weak, but I always thought it was cool that it was made out of cybernetics/technology, and I loved its annoying move set with the Conversion moves and Tri-Attack!

5. Snorlax: Snorlax is here because it's fat, eats, and sleeps a lot just like I used to.  And while I'm not that way anymore, I still remember those days.  They weren't always good times, but they were simpler because I wasn't always worrying about my health the way I do now.  In the old games, Snorlax was the sleeping Pokémon that you had to wake up using a PokéFlute, which I always thought was awesome.  It might not be the best at any specific stats, but I think it has an equal balance of everything.  Not to mention, it's versatile enough to learn HMs like Surf, and it's hard to knock out with its high HP and Rest move.  Considering I didn't like many water Pokémon besides Blastoise, Snorlax was a lifesaver.  

4. Marowak:  There's not much I can really say about Marowak.  In the original Generation, its main preference was that you had to kill it in the Lavender Ghost tower, so you could get by.  It was creepy, but an interesting plot to say the least.  Besides that, I love Marowak because it's different.  It has a skull on its head, always making me wonder how it looks underneath, and it throws a bone, which I always thought was cool since I liked boomerangs.  Its card in the trading card game leaves something to be desired, but there is one version I like that I want, so it still has a special place for me.

3. Pikachu: Being the mascot of the entire Pokémon franchise, Pikachu seems like an obvious choice here.  It has a lot of supporters, but it has a lot of detractors as well.  And I can understand why.  It's not strong, is the main Pokémon of Ash (who sucks as a trainer), and it always loses to other Pokémon in the series, but I like it because it's cute, and a Pokémon my dad and I really connected with.  Not to mention, once it has the light ball and Volt tackle, it's pretty awesome!

2. Dragonite: Dragonite reminds me of the cryptozoology I follow, which has to do with mythical creatures, folklore, etc.  There's stories about it, but you never really see it, unless you capture one.  That's never more relevant then in the anime series when Ash and the gang see the giant one, but in the game, you can't capture one unless you raise a Dratini all the way up to level 55.  I admit, that is tedious, especially since you don't get it until later in the game, which by that point, you probably already have your main party.  But if you're like me and love dragons, you have to love Dragonite; its look, moves, and strength, what's not to like?  Plus, you can fish for it or get it at the game corner, which is always helpful.

1. Charizard: Do I even need to explain this one?  Charizard is the best!  I know a lot of people who hate it because of its popularity, and stat and card game wise, it isn't the best, but I don't care.  I was always fascinated with it as a child because I always thought it was a dragon.  And even though I learned later on it was a lizard, it doesn't change the fact there's so much to love about it.  It's strong, it's orange (which used to be my favorite color), and it breathes fire.  You can't get much better than that, and I really want its EX card, so if anyone wants to give me a near mint one, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment