Monday, May 19, 2014

My Choices For Guest Speaker

Over the weekend, my school's commencement took place.  I didn't go for my own personal reasons, but heard it was quite an event from social media.  Not just because so many students were finished with school forever, but because Bill Nye the Science Guy gave a speech to the students.  I still have yet to see any pictures, but it's cool that someone I idolized and watched growing up actually came to my school.  It makes me wish I went, but I didn't, and I can't change the past.  One thing it did make me do was think about who I'd want to speak at my graduation if I had a choice.  It sounds like it would be easy with all the people we pay attention to or like, but I tried discussing it with classmates a few weeks ago, and had a hard time.  Time has passed, so I have a few choices in mind, but even now, I'm still unsure.

My only criteria for who I've chosen is that they have to have gone to college, had some higher form of education (because it makes little sense to have a dropout give students advice.  It's unrealistic for them to succeed with no degree), or succeeded in life.  If they meet that, anyone qualifies.  So without further ado, here's my list (so far) in no particular order...

  • Patrick Stewart: The guy was Jean-Luc Picard on Star Trek: The Next Generation, leading the Enterprise, plays Charles Xavier, and is an accomplished stage actor, with a knowledge of Shakespeare.  He'd fit in well at my school.
  • Steven Spielberg: What else needs to be said about the director who has basically done everything?
  • Anderson Cooper: One of the best journalists out there, who appeals to different generations with his interview and writing style.  I think lots of students would be excited by him.
  • The Williams Sisters: Two women who not only changed tennis for women, but sports in general.  Their stories are very inspirational, and they are one of the main reasons why I like tennis so much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment