Tuesday, July 16, 2013

MLB All-Star Break: Thoughts For All 30 Teams At The Break

With Major League Baseball's All-Star Game tonight, that means we've reached the halfway point of the season, which is hard to believe, since I still remember the first game of the season between the Houston Astros and the Texas Rangers.  I love baseball, but like any sport, it can drag on at times, which is why I'm glad it's the All-Star break now, because now we can focus on the important stuff.  Games are more meaningful, records can/will be broken, and players can get traded for that late playoff push.  At the same time, I can look back on the first half of the season so far, which has been as exciting as ever.  Here's my thoughts for all 30 teams (based on current division leader standings).

AMERICAN LEAGUE EAST
  • Boston Red Sox: Gotta love my hometown Sox.  After last season's debacle with Bobby Valentine as manager, they have surprised people by actually still being in contention.  Free agents like Shane Victorino and Johnny Gomes have been better than expected, and Dustin Pedroia and David Ortiz are playing off the charts right now.  They still have issues with their pitching staff and bullpen, as Jon Lester and others have struggled, but I have a feeling they'll still be playing important games in September, which is more than I expected back in April.  GO SOX!
  • Tampa Bay Rays: The Rays are a streaky team when it comes to offense.  Sometimes they hit, and other times they can't, but when they hit and pitch, they contend.  It's no different this year as Evan Longoria is playing at an MVP level, and the pitching staff is returning to their form.  I think they make the news sometimes for the wrong reasons (like Joe Maddon or one of their players complaining about something), but as a fan, you have to respect their team for their peskiness.
  • Baltimore Orioles: Last year, the Orioles were the fluke of baseball in many analysts and fans eyes since they won so many close games, and didn't have any stars.  Well, this year, they're not winning many close games, but they definitely have stars.  They have Manny Machado, one of the best young players in the game, Chris "Orange Crush" Davis, Adam Jones, etc; the list goes on and on.  Along with that, they have one of the best in game managers in Buck Showalter, so even though the standings say they're in third place, I have no doubt they'll have changed spots before the season is over.
  • New York Yankees: Out of all the teams that is probably happiest that the all-star break is here, I think the Yankees have to be the happiest because their team is a mess.  Free agents acquisitions like Vernon Wells and Travis Haftner were okay at the start of the season, but now they've returned to their pedestrian selves and struggled, which has been difficult for a team missing so many key players like Derek Jeter, Mark Texiera, etc.  To add onto their list of problems, Alex Rodriguez is appearing in the news for every bad reason imaginable, whether it's mouthing off or something drug related.  The Yankees should be worse, but because of Joe Girardi's managing, they aren't, so he deserves serious Manager of The Year consideration. 
  • Toronto Blue Jays: The Blue Jays are the most disappointing team this season because they made all the moves to contend by making big splashes (i.e, R.A Dickey and Jose Reyes), but haven't played up to their potential.  Everyone has seemed to regress, and while they still score a lot, there's not many other positive things I can say about their team.  I love their jerseys though, and if everyone was healthy, they'd definitely be better than what they are.
AMERICAN LEAGUE CENTRAL
  • Detroit Tigers: There's no such thing as the perfect player, but Miguel Cabrera is certainly making a case for it.  Everything he does, he does well (even his fielding has improved).  I didn't think he could do better than last year, but he's on pace too.  Prince Fielder and him are doing their usual damage, but Max Scherzer has stepped up and taken the mantle as best pitcher of the team away from Justin Verlander.  They're in first place now, but have so many pitching issues, that I see it being a problem unless they make a deal at the trade deadline, or Miguel Cabrera carries them, which I'm sure he'll do. 
  • Cleveland Indians: Under Terry Francona, the Indians are taking the baseball world by surprise since they're actually in contention now.  Some people have called them the Orioles of last year, but their team isn't as good as the O's were.  Yes, they're in second place, but they have so many flaws and players playing out of their mind that I know it can't last all season.  The bad players are producing and the supposed good ones like Michael Bourn are under-performing. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'll have to see it to believe it.
  • Kansas City Royals: The Royals are frustrating to me because they have all the talent in the world, but still have trouble succeeding.  Their homegrown talent like Eric Hosmer and Mike Moustakas are playing terrible, and they trade Will Myers, their best hitting prospect for James Shield.  I understand the need to win now, but that's still a risky move.  They're middle of the pack now, and have talented players like Alex Gordon, Salvador Perez, and backup Jarrod Dyson, but they'll have to do something at the deadline if they want to compete this year.  Pitching was supposed to be one of their strengths, but so far, it's not.
  • Minnesota Twins: I'd by lying if I said I followed of watched a lot of Twins games this year, but from what I've heard, they've been decent.  Their pitching staff is nothing to write home about, but they still have one of the best players in the game in Joe Mauer (even though he doesn't catch much anymore, which is where his true value is).  On a side note though, it's great to see Justin Morneau playing, since he was a top 15-20 player until concussions ruined his career.  Hopefully, he'll stay healthy and finish the season strong.
  • Chicago White Sox: The White Sox are a dreadful team with an unlikeable roster.  They should trade their talent like Adam Dunn, Alexis Rios, and Alexei Ramirez for prospects, but it's unlikely they will.  They could even trade their star players like Chris Sale, but I doubt that happens unless they are blown away.  Oh well, at least they still have Ken "Hawk" Harrelson saying "You can put it on the board...YES"!
AMERICAN LEAGUE WEST
  • Oakland Athletics: Billy Beane has done it again.  He builds a roster of players with the little payroll he has, yet competes every year.  This year, it's been particularly surprising since their hitting and pitching haven't been as good as last year, but they've had players step up like Bartolo Colon and Josh Donaldson.  I want to say they'll fall off, but they never do just like the Rays.  They just have fun and play baseball, which is what a lot of teams need to do.
  • Texas Rangers: The past few years, the Rangers have been one of the most consistent teams in baseball hitting, pitching, and making the playoffs.  This year, they started off strong, but slow starts and injuries to some of their key players has hurt them.  Despite my dislike of their team (for whatever reason), I have to give them credit since they have so many players I love watching like Yu Darvish and Adrian Beltre.  Also, on the whole Ian Kinsler issue, yes he should change spots for Jurickson Profar or just get traded.  You do what's best for the team, not what's best for you individually.
  • Los Angeles Angels: For the second year in a row, baseball's highest spending team has stumbled out of the gate.  They may have the best young player in Mike Trout, but have Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton, two albatrosses on the field and on their payroll.  Injuries have killed them (especially the one to Jared Weaver), but there comes a time when you just have to admit that a team has chemistry issues, and I think this team has it.  Can they turn it around?  Sure, they have the talent too, but if they don't, I wouldn't be shocked to see major changes.
  • Seattle Mariners: Felix Hernandez, hands down, is one of my favorite players in any sport!  He has the talent and swagger that Pedro Martinez had when he was in Boston.  It's too bad though that their team always struggles, whether it's pitching or hitting.  Everyone said this year would be different for the Mariners because of the players they bought in, and the fact the fences at Safeco have been moved, but that hasn't impacted their record much.  On the bright side, Raul Ibanez is having a revival season for the team and King Felix is just dealing!  Enough said!  Even though this year looks like it'll be another wash, I see huge things for their future.
  • Houston Astros: The Astros are in complete rebuild, so there isn't much I can say about them.  I like how they signed Jose Altuve showing they are committed to the future, and their draft seemed productive, but it will be years before we see whether their moves paid off. 
 NATIONAL LEAGUE EAST
  • Atlanta Braves: The Braves started hot out of the gate faster than I imagined, winning many of their games in April because of the bat of Justin Upton.  But he cooled off, and some of his teammates like his brother B.J Upton, and Jason Heyward have yet to pick it up for various reasons.  They've gotten surprisingly consistent play from slick fielding Andrelton Simmons and "The Janitor" Even Gattis, but I question how long they can keep it up.  Injuries are catching up to them, and their division lead is dwindling.
  • Washington Nationals: Bryce Harper is a stud, and before he was injured making a death defying play, you could make a case that he was MVP of the National League.  But we all know that's not how it works.  Bryce was hurt, and it affected his team greatly as their offense struggled.  Although, some blame has to go to Ryan Zimmerman, their expensive third baseman who can't even throw to first base right now.  I think they have the ability to catch up to the Braves, but if Stephen Strasburg can't turn it around, than everyone's predictions about the Nationals making the playoffs will be wrong.  Maybe he needs a break like last year, but this team can't afford any miscues.
  • Philadelphia Phillies: When I look at the Phillies roster, I question so many of their moves because they have so many washed up and expensive players like Ryan Howard, Delmon Young, and Jonathan Papelbon.  They're making a bit of a run now, but everyone knows there is no way they can contend, so they should trade what they have and try to get as young as possible.  Cole Hamels may be untouchable, but I think everyone else isn't.
  • New York Mets: New York's other finest team.  In terms of the regular season wins, they don't have many, but they have had major bright spots this year.  Matt Harvey has made people forget about R.A Dickey and is starting the All-Star Game tonight, David Wright is hitting, and they've had some memorable comeback wins.  I'd be concerned with some of their top prospects like Zach Wheeler since they haven't done well in their short major league careers yet, but I'm excited for them.  And I look forward to the All-Star Game tonight.
  • Miami Marlins: The Marlins are one of the laughingstocks of MLB because of the deal they made last off-season trading just about everyone they signed, and leaving Giancarlo Stanton alone to carry a team by himself.  There's no doubt in my mind he can do it, but he's been injured a majority of this year, which has made this team even more unwatchable than usual.  As bad as their team is, at least they have some young players to build around, so when their deceitful owner is gone, maybe that team can make some noise. 
NATIONAL LEAGUE CENTRAL
  • St. Louis Cardinals: Along with the Rangers, the Cardinals have been one of most consistent teams in baseball the past few years.  Under Tony LaRussa, it was obvious because they had the best player in the world in Albert Pujols, but they're both gone, and yet, they still succeed.  Some fans were upset they let Albert go, but it was for the best because now they have money to sign their younger players like Yadier Molina, Allen Craig, and Adam Wainwright, leading me to believe they'll contend for a long time. 
  • Pittsburgh Pirates: Andrew McCutchen is one of the best young center fielders and players in baseball, but not many people know about him since he plays in Pittsburgh, which is a shame because he's fun to watch.  He's a 5-tool player, clutch, and a great leader for his team, enhancing the play of teammates like Pedro "El" Toro Alvarez and Jason Grilli.  The Pirates have the longest streak of losing seasons in North American sports, but I know it'll end this year because this team has more talent than the last two years.  Yes, they could fade like in previous seasons, but I believe, and will have my black and gold on cheering my team away from home.
  • Cincinnati Reds: I can't stand the Reds, like the Rangers, but I can explain why I dislike this team, DUSTY BAKER!  He may have a lot of wins as a manager, but he is terrible.  He can't manage in games, and blows out pitcher's arms (i.e, Mark Prior and Kerry Wood).  Sure he hasn't done it recently, but he'll probably do it to Aroldis Chapman.  Aside from my Dusty hating, I can't say many negative things about the play of the Reds.  They have so many great players, and did one of the best trades this off-season, getting Shin-Soo-Choo, which has stabilized their lineup and outfield.  Hopefully, they don't catch my Pirates, but if they do, I wouldn't be shocked.
  • Chicago Cubs: Theo Epstein has done the best job he could the past year and a half trying to rebuild the Cubs, and while I think he's done an okay job, I still think he's been disappointing.  All of his moves are questionable, and the roster he's assembled stinks.  They're unlikeable like the White Sox, and some of their star players from last year, like Starlin Castro and Anthony Rizzo have regressed drastically.  I don't know how good it looks for them, but at least Wrigley Field will be getting renovations.
  • Milwaukee Brewers: A couple of years ago, the Brewers used to be one of the best teams in baseball, with one of the best players in baseball in Ryan Braun.  Things gave changed though.  The team has gone south, and Braun has made the news for performance enhancing drugs.  I used to like him, but I can't stand cheaters, so he deserves whatever punishment he gets.  It may be harsh, but I'm an old school baseball guy.  Despite all this negativity, at least they have Jean Segura.
NATIONAL LEAGUE WEST
  • Arizona Diamondbacks: The Diamondbacks have a lot of youth on their team I like a lot, such as Paul Goldschmidt and Patrick Corbin.  I haven't seen many of their games, but everything I have seen has been positive, besides their bullpen, which is atrocious.  People say having a good closer is overrated, but look at the Red Sox.  You need a closer or else you'll give games away.  The D'Backs need a closer, but Heath Bell and David Hernandez aren't the answer.
  • Los Angeles Dodgers: Like the Angels, the Dodgers are a disappointment because of their record with the talent they have.  They have arguably the best pitcher in baseball in Clayton Kershaw, Matt Kemp, Zack Greinke, Hanley Ramirez, Adrian Gonzalez, etc.  Hell, even Yasiel Puig, as good as he's been, hasn't gotten their team above .500.  Sure, you could make the case they haven't been good because of injuries, but lots of teams with injuries get by.  I just think this team has chemistry issues. They could make the playoffs because their division is so weak, but if they do, they won't go far. 
  • Colorado Rockies: The Red Sox and Pirates are the team I root for on the East Coast, but on the West Coast, I root for the Rockies.  I thought so highly of their team this year, I thought they'd make the playoffs, which may sound ridiculous now, but before injuries hit, they were one of the top teams in the National League.  Troy Tulowitzki is the best shortstop, and one of my favorite players in the league, but it's unfortunate him, Carlos Gonzalez, and Dexter Fowler can't stay healthy at the same time.  If they did, there's no doubt in my mind they would be above .500.  I definitely see a big turnaround for the second half though.  You can quote me on that.
  • San Francisco Giants: Back in 2010, before the Giants won their first World Series in however many years, I rooted for them, but now, I can't stand them because they're kind of like the Yankees and always win.  Despite how I feel, I have nothing but love and respect for Buster Posey and Marco Scutaro.  I can't stand Matt Cain and Tim Lincecum though, so it's good to see them struggling since it means other teams I like can take advantage of them.  To say they're done though, would be silly, so I'm not counting them out yet.
  • San Diego Padres:The Padres or "Pod Squad" as I've called them, are having a terrible season.  Their pitching is terrible, and the hitters who did well last year like Chase Headley are having trouble because of injuries.  I'd be lying if I said I knew many players on their roster, so I won't try to name any of them.  In years I'm sure they'll improve, but right now, they stink, and need major changes or they'll keep being near the bottom of the barrel.

No comments:

Post a Comment