Thursday, July 18, 2013

Trayvon Martin Verdict

In my online class the past couple of weeks, some of the topics we've covered were racial bias against minorities and the death penalty.  On their own, they're very intriguing subjects, but added with the Trayvon Martin case, they're more than that.  In terms of this case, I'd be lying if I said I followed it much at all, because I find things like this so depressing and sad, but as more and more time passed, it couldn't be ignored.  The trial was what it was, and the verdict for George Zimmerman, the alleged murderer was not guilty, a decision almost everyone I know disagreed with. 

Some people say we're crazy to think the verdict was wrong, but I think we have a right too based on the evidence we know.  Although in my honest opinion, I think people are more upset because the outcome of the case would be different if the races were different.  If a Caucasian had died, than the person who shot him would have been guilty, but since it was an African American, then they got off for free.  I don't know if I agree with that since the race card is used so often, but it's hard to argue with it when you look at history and statistics.  They back it up.

Of course, for the present and now, while we remember George Zimmerman getting off, let's not forget about Trayvon Martin, the victim.  He was so young, and didn't deserve what happened to him.  Nobody does.  Cases like this make you put life in perspective, and while the verdict is in, I have a feeling we'll remember this case for a long time.  It will probably be my generation's biggest case like how O.J Simpson was for the others.  I don't know much about politics, but I know it's heartbreaking when justice isn't served.

No comments:

Post a Comment