Saturday, July 6, 2013

NBA Free Agency Thoughts

Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, and Andre Iguodala.  Some of the biggest free agents this summer
Since it's summer, baseball is the main sport of focus, but that doesn't mean the other sports take a break.  Football has training camps, while hockey and basketball have free agency.  Hockey free agency is very active, but most of the players are people I've never heard of, so during the summer, I focus mostly on NBA free agency because after baseball, it's my favorite sport to follow.  This year's free agency is nothing like it was when LeBron James was a free agent, but that doesn't mean it's still not interesting.  Lots of players have taken their talents to new places, while some others have stayed.  And while everyone hasn't signed yet, here are some my thoughts on the players who have made decisions so far.

In no particular order...
  • Chris Paul: CP3's resigning comes as no surprise to me or anybody considering the Los Angeles Clippers have done everything he wanted.  They got rid of Vinny Del Negro for Doc Rivers, which is a plus, and they added and traded players (i.e, Eric Bledsoe).  I still don't know if the Clippers can compete for an NBA title, especially with the West being stacked, and Black Griffin taking a step back this past year, but with arguably the league's top point guard and coach, they'll definitely be in contention.
  • Dwight Howard: Dwight has finally chosen the Houston Rockets as his new team.  HALLELUJAH!  Praise the lord!  The baby made a choice.  I don't want to criticize Dwight, since I think he means well, but it's hard not to with the decisions he's made the past two years.  He goes back and forth with his decisions, is a terrible teammate, and whines about a lot.  Let's just hope that because he's picked a new team, he'll stay there and keep his mouth shut.
  • Tyreke Evans: I've made it no secret that Tyreke Evans is one of my favorite players in the NBA, but it's hard to be a fan with his regression since his rookie year.  That year, he was averaging 20 points, 5 rebounds, and 5 assists, but since then, all those stats have gone down, and he's been injured off and on.  You can blame his poor play on the coaching staff, the fact that he never had a set position on the Sacramento Kings, or his overall effort.  I don't know if I want to go there because I watch a lot of Kings games, and I see that he tries, but he takes plays off too.  I'm not surprised Tyreke is leaving the Kings (I even thought it'd happen at the trade deadline), I just thought it wouldn't be for the New Orleans Pelicans.  He didn't know where he'd play in Sacramento, but where's he going to play in New Orleans with all the players they have?  I honestly don't know, but I wish him the best.  I'll still root for him, but it won't be the same now that he's not wearing the Sacramento purple.
  • Andre Iguodala: One of the most balanced and underrated players in the league agreed to a 4 year deal with the Golden State Warriors yesterday, which I can't praise enough.  The Warriors were already good, but with "Iggy", their defense got better, and they're even more spectacular than before.  Los Angeles may have Kobe Bryant and "Lob City", but Golden State may have the best team in California.
  • Al Jefferson: "Big Al" agreed to go to the Charlotte Bobcats on July 4, which was a surprise decision that many people frowned on, but I like the move for owner, general manager, and greatest NBA player of all-time Michael Jordan.  The Bobcats need talent and a player they can build around.  Al Jefferson may not be a top 20 player, but he's one of the best young big men in the league, with good health and consistency.  Something that's hard to find in any big man and on the Bobcats.  I doubt they'll make the playoffs any time soon, but this signing is a step in the right direction.
  • David West: Not much to say here.  David West agreed to resign with the Indiana Pacers.  He did great with them last year, and bought a lot of tenacity with his play, so I expect that to continue.
  • O.J Mayo: This is a baffling signing to me, but only because of the destination, which was the Milwaukee Bucks.  I have no problem with the city, but the team's roster is up in the air until they figure out what to do with Brandon Jennings and Monta Ellis.  The only thing I got from this decision is that all O.J Mayo cares about is money, which is no surprise with the way the NBA is structured.
  • J.R Smith: J.R Smith has been called the best scorer in the NBA before, which is a bit of a stretch, but when he's on, he's hard to stop.  In New York last year, he was on his "A" game often, being one of the team's best players and winning Sixth Man Of The Year Honors.  For that reasoning, I thought he should be resigned, but there's risk in the move because of J.R Smith's conduct and mindset.  He's not the most behaved player (like what he did in Boston), and he makes a lot of bonehead plays, but there's no doubt he can play and fits into what the New York Knicks want to do.  A big contract for him in my eyes spells trouble though.
  • Ray Allen: Not really a free agent, but he had an option, so I put him here.  It still hurts to see Ray Allen in a Miami Heat jersey, but I got over it.  I though he might retire on top, but you know what they say.  "If something still works, don't fix it".  The Heat have that formula down, so with Ray Allen, they're going to try for a three-peat. 
  • Kevin Martin: Kevin Martin is a nice player, but nowhere near the hype or money he's gotten.  For a sixth man, he was overpaid.  And at the end of the day, he chose to leave the Oklahoma City Thunder for the Minnesota Timberwolves.  What a great decision!  I'm being sarcastic of course.  With this move, it's clear where Kevin Martin's mindset was.  Man, what idiots the Thunder must feel though for trading James Harden, and now losing the player they traded him for.  That's NBA free agency though.

No comments:

Post a Comment