Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Expressive Body Art

When you think of art, you usually think of something like a great film or painting.  But while I do think of those things, when I think of art, I think the kind that comes to mind the most is body art, such as piercings or tattoos.  Because of their commonness, most wouldn't consider them art forms, but I do, since they can have a vast array of designs, and are unique to the particular person that has them.  For instance, one of my friends, who I love very dearly, has tons of piercings and loves turtles.  She loves them so much that she has a huge tattoo of them on her back.  Cool enough on its own, but because of the significance of it to her, I think about it a lot differently (since I've never seen it in person before) the way I do a lot body art now.

I have to be honest, though.  As a child, I thought piercings and tattoos were weird.  Not that there was anything wrong with them, but people got them in such odd spots, and I always heard stories about infections or worst.  But as I got older, like a lot of things people do now, such as drink, I just let people live their lives the way they want them to, without interfering.  That's hard to do sometimes because my life interacts with a lot of those people, but if they're happy, and expressing themselves in their own unique way, what's wrong with that?  It seems as though people are always criticized or oppressed for being/doing something different, but I applaud those people for doing something true to them.  That takes a lot of courage, and is not easy to do, especially in the type of judgmental world we live in.  I know because of fears I have, germophobia, and my physique, I will never get an ear piercing or tattoo, but I'll always admire people who are happy and fearless being themselves, whether by art or their personality.  That's something I think a lot of us are still searching for, including myself.  I know who I am, and what makes me happy, but a lot of times, I'm not... 

No comments:

Post a Comment