Monday, March 31, 2014

Critiquing Work

I think I'm spoiled sometimes, because as a writer, I feel as though I can have an opinion on anything and say it, but when someone criticizes me, that's when I shut up and be quiet.  That happens a lot during school, especially in my Creative Writing classes, where we critique and workshop other people's work.  Whenever we've worked on my classmates work, I've told them what worked and what didn't, but I'm still pretty shy about it.  I think I'm like that because everyone else is always quiet, and no one seems agrees with me, so I feel signaled out by the teacher, which is never a good feeling.  Since I'm so close to graduating, I should be used to it and not care, but I can't help being affected by criticism or just making a mistake.  

Today, it was my turn to get work-shopped, and I was as anxious as could be.  I had all weekend to get the jitters out of my system, but everyday, I just kept wanting Monday to be over.  Well, now that my class has come and passed, I can say, getting work-shopped wasn't that bad, and I got worked up over nothing.  There was a lot of stuff I needed to improve on in terms of my writing, but everyone liked how honestly I wrote, and how dedicated I was to crafting my work.  Not to mention, I've improved in every draft, which is good.  My teacher was even impressed, shook my hand, and said I'm close to my potential; a comment that made me so happy.  Anyone can compliment your work, but when you get praise or pointers from someone famous like my teacher is, you take notice.  My writing might not be perfect, but I'm making strides, and authentically writing everyday, which is all I can do.  Hopefully, all the hard work pays off.

Till then, I'll just be writing, writing, writing...

No comments:

Post a Comment