Monday, January 20, 2014

Being The Patriots GM

After another loss in the postseason, Tom Brady and Bill Belicheck have to go back to the drawing board
The New England Patriots have done it again.  No, they haven't made it to the Super Bowl; they lost another game in the postseason.  It's not a surprise considering how the team was this year with injuries, and the fact so many factors favored the Denver Broncos yesterday, but being a Patriots fan, I expected better than what I saw.  The offense looked like crap with no run game, questionable play calling, and the defense couldn't get off the field to save their lives.  Now, the injury to Aqib Talib was a huge loss since he held Demaryius Thomas to nothing, but injuries happen to everyone in the league, including the Broncos yesterday.  As I said, I shouldn't have been surprised the Patriots lost, but this was the most I've been excited for them in years, so another loss is disappointing.

Despite that, I'm going to do what the Patriots are probably doing today, and move on toward the future.  With the off-season now here, there are many decisions the team has to make.  I usually don't second guess Bill Belicheck and Robert Kraft, but another loss means something has to be done.  I'm not the biggest football expert in the world, or a former general manager, but if I was their GM, this is what I'd do...
  • I would upgrade at the WR position via the draft or free agency.  Sammy Watkins, the top receiver from Clemson, is a longshot for the Pats, so unless they trade up, they'll have to find someone else.  They should resign Julian Edelman (especially after the Wes Welker fiasco last year), but the Pats rarely pay players they should.  Hopefully they change their mind because Tom Brady needs some help, and it showed yesterday.
  • This is a minor move that probably wouldn't help much, but I would get a FB who could help block.  FB use has died in the NFL every years since I started watching football consistently a decade ago.  And I can understand why, but there's no doubt somehow who could help block and catch would help #12.
  • Get a few more playmakers at the DL and LB position.  The Pats defense is good when healthy, but even they are, they don't get enough pressure on the QB, or force enough turnovers.
  • Lastly, I would improve the secondary with another safety to help Devin McCourty, or get another CB.  If you're wondering why the Pats need to do this, then you haven't been watching games this year.

I know I didn't focus on players that are in the draft or free agents, but information like that is speculative and still weeks away, so I figure I'd be broad since it addresses all the Patriots needs.  Of course, it's health that killed them this season, so hopefully, next season will be a lot different.  Until then, all we can do is wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment