Sunday, January 26, 2014

Richard Sherman

The rant seen around the world
It's almost been a week since Richard Sherman, the CB for the Seattle Seahawks, made his now famous rant insulting and taunting WR Michael Crabtree.  When it happened, media and news outlets went crazy reporting the story, and it became a hot topic for discussion the whole week.  At first, Sherman didn't regret anything he said, but after a day or two taking a beating from the media, as well as other players, he changed his mind and apologized.  And while I wish I could believe he meant it, deep down, I know he didn't since that emotion he showed is the type of person he really is.  I know this story is old now, and he's moved on, but I can't let it pass without giving my two cents.

From what I heard and read from people, it seems like a majority of people feel two ways.  They either love Richard Sherman for being emotional and truthful (not giving cliche interviews), or they hate him for disrespecting his opponents and putting himself first.  I understand both sides of the argument, but I like Sherman more than I dislike him.  Yes, he can be disrespectful and pompous at times, but that seems related to football mostly, where many players do the same.  Plus, he's one of the few players at his position who can back up his talk.  Also, he was interviewed right after making one of the best plays of his life.  Obviously, he's going to be emotional, especially with the amount of trash talk he and Crabtree had.  Everyone is mad because of what he said, and while I understand why, at least he said something.  It might not be great sportsmanship, but at least he said something compared to players who don't shake hands or walk off the court/field like Isiah Thomas did many times.  I think something like this is all based on perspective.  It's bad, but when you compare it to others postgame rants, it's not that bad and basically a non-story.

One thing that bothers me though, is what Richard Sherman said about the word "thug".  No one likes getting called it, just like any other negative word, but I don't agree with him when he says it's a substitute for the N-word.  As I learned from ESPN and other reports, the N-word is still quite alive in everyday culture, especially in locker rooms.  It's sad, but it isn't my place to judge; I don't know all the facts.  He things being called a "thug" is a race issue, but it isn't.  If any player did what he did, they'd be called a thug just as much, if not more.  Sherman was called a "thug" because he is a bully and doesn't respect a lot of people besides those on his team.  It has nothing to do with race; it has everything to do with attitude and how you treat others.  I might like him, but I wish he wasn't so egotistical all the time.

So that's my two cents on the issue that wasn't really an issue.  To think, all of this could have been avoided if Richard Sherman was a little more quiet, but you can't change what happens.  You can only accept it and move on, which everyone is going to do.  I have no idea who will win the Super Bowl, but if I can, I'll be watching to see what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment